This certificate program takes students from the Hebrew alphabet to reading the Hebrew Old Testament with understanding and proficiency. Students will learn approximately 2000 Hebrew words as well as the essential grammar of the Hebrew language, all while immersed in the biblical text.
Upon completion of this certificate, students will have read Jonah, Ruth, and selections from Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, and 1 Kings. The Hebrew certificate focuses on Hebrew narrative texts though it also introduces the main principles of Biblical Hebrew poetry through studying poetic sections that appear within those narrative texts.
- This certificate offers the equivalent of two years of formal instruction in a college or seminary.
- This certificate is designed with Pastors, and Bible and Theology students in mind.
The Core Competencies for this program include:
- Quickly and confidently read the Hebrew Bible, with an eye towards theological nuance and exegetical accuracy
- Competency in the entire grammatical and syntactical system of ancient Hebrew
- Develop fluency with the majority of vocabulary used in narrative portions of the Old Testament
- Hebrew Immerse First Steps (not graded)
- Hebrew Reading 1 (Ruth and narrative sections of Jonah)
- Hebrew Reading 2 (1 Kings 17–20 and Exodus 1–4)
- Hebrew Reading 3 (Genesis 37-41 and Deuteronomy 4–6)
- Hebrew Reading 4 (Genesis 1-4 and selections from Genesis 11–22)
- NOTE: Students may also take Zondervan’s Basics of Biblical Hebrew 1 and 2
keyboard_arrow_right Biblical Hebrew Courses
- Hebrew First Steps: This course provides the essential information that students need to start reading Hebrew.
- Hebrew Reading 1: In this course you will learn Hebrew grammar and vocabulary as you translate Ruth and the narrative sections of Jonah. You will master Level 1 grammar topics and learn all vocabulary that appears in Jonah 1, 3–4 and Ruth.
- Hebrew Reading 2: In this course you will continue to learn Hebrew grammar and vocabulary by translating 1 Kings 17–20 and Exodus 1–4. Building on what you have learned in Hebrew Reading 1, you will master Level 2 grammar topics and, upon completion, you will know all vocabulary that appears in 1 Kings 17–20 and Exodus 1–4.
- Hebrew Reading 3: In this course you will continue to learn Hebrew grammar and vocabulary by translating Genesis 37-41 and Deuteronomy 4–6. Building on what you have learned in Hebrew Reading 1 and 2, you will master Level 3 grammar topics and, upon completion, you will know all vocabulary that appears in Genesis 37–41 and Deuteronomy 4–6.
- Hebrew Reading 4: In this course you will continue to learn Hebrew grammar and vocabulary by translating Genesis 1-4 and selections from Genesis 11–22. Building on what you have learned in Hebrew Reading 1, 2 and 3 you will master Level 4 grammar topics as well as be introduced some of the features of Biblical Hebrew poetry and, upon completion, you will know all vocabulary that appears in the texts from Genesis you have studied.
- Course Creator / Teaching Video Instructor
- Dr. Timothy Edwards. Dr. Edwards is Dean and Fellow of Theology at New Saint Andrews College in Moscow, Idaho. He taught Hebrew at the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies and has lectured at the University of Oxford, University of Bristol, and various Bible schools in central Europe. He completed his graduate studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the University of Oxford. He is the author of Exegesis in the Targum of Psalms (Gorgias Press, 2007) amongst other publications.
How do I begin my studies with the BibleMesh Institute?
First, you need to apply by going here. We will then contact you to assist you in selecting the certificate program that best fits your situation. Upon your enrollment in the BibleMesh Institute, we will assign you a qualified academic tutor who will guide you through each course of study.
Can I speak to someone for advice?
Yes! Please contact us here.
What is the cost?
Students enroll in the BibleMesh Institute on a subscription basis. The monthly cost for each BibleMesh Institute course is $225 per month. The length of time to complete a course varies depending on each student’s situation, but averages 3 months for dedicated students.
Is there a teacher – or do I study these online courses by myself?
To provide the highest quality online learning experience and to meet academic standards, the BibleMesh Institute assigns each student an academic tutor for each course. All of our proctors (academic tutors) are highly qualified in their subject field.
Can I go at my own pace?
Yes. Each course is provided with month-to-month access to better fit your situation. You may work through and complete a course as your schedule allows, while your academic tutor guides you to ensure competency and mastery of the content. You may take as much time as you wish to complete an individual course or a certificate program.
Can I skip certain courses or pause in my coursework?
In order to complete a certificate program, students must complete every course within that program. Some certificates, like the Biblical Languages certificate, do require courses to be completed in a specific sequence. If you need to pause your studies, you can; your progress and grades will not be lost. You can simply renew your monthly course subscription and resume from where you left off.
Can anyone receive a certificate from the BibleMesh Institute?
Yes. Anyone who enrolls as a BibleMesh Institute student and successfully completes required, proctored coursework can earn a certificate.
How do I receive a certificate?
Upon finishing all the courses in a certificate program, you may apply for and receive a certificate.
Are scholarships available?
When scholarships are available they are initially available to students already studying in the BibleMesh Institute.
Are BibleMesh Institute certificates recognized for credit by colleges and seminaries?
Yes. Several partnering colleges and seminaries provide academic pathways using courses and programs offered through the Institute.
Credit-bearing courses provided through the BibleMesh Institute are built to accreditation standards. If you would like us to talk with your school about the possibility of accepting transfer credits for BibleMesh Institute courses or programs, please contact us.